Friday, February 26, 2010

Come se dice "He Lives" 2-17-10

So I basically caused a medical emergency and a zone wide relief effort, "Save Elder Morris Day" It's a huge story so I might as well tell it.
So for two weeks I have been super sick, with a very wide variety of symptoms that I have only just identified and now things make a lot more sense. So here is my medical history:

1. I had a cough, and when I came to my new area here in Campamiento, it started to get worse. Since I had cold symptoms for a long time (like three weeks) I called the mission doctors and expressed my concern. They told me to drink lots of water and take some ibuprofen.
2. The day after I called I was blessed with the worlds most violent diarrhea, and my cough was still getting worse. The diarrhea continued all that week, but I was still able to leave and work for the next two days. The mission doctor said the best course of action would be water and ibuprofen
3. So two days after the diarrhea I actually felt fine, just annoyed at having to randomly run into homes and stores and demand a bathroom (many a close call) however. I woke up the next day unable to lift my intensely hot and tired body from the bed. I had a fever of a 103. I called the mission doctor. she asked if I had been drinking lots of water and taking my ibuprofen. She then re prescribed the same. (turns out some where in the mission doctor manual it says "all missionaries are liars, so when they have symptoms of dying just prescribe water and ibuprofen till they stop lying and get back to work.) However she later called back and decided to get me on some antibiotics for the next week. 21 pills of amoxacillin that I had to take three times a day, with water and ibuprofen of course.
4.My temperature remained roughly above a hundred for the rest of the week, and I could only be given the power by the grace of God to leave. For example in the morning of Thursday I couldn't stand, but God blessed me with power to leave and do a baptism for the sisters. The second I got back to the house I almost passed out. Bless the miracles.
5. Recap: 103 temperature, violent diarrhea, swollen tonsils, and no energy. Keeping up?
6. I was spiritually inspired to stop eating the food that the people who provide dinner were feeding us. Within 24 hours the diarrhea was gone. They are really poor, so I don't even want to know why the food was toxic.
7. Fever continues to trouble doctor. And despite there best efforts with ibuprofen and water, it's not working. They prescribe me the "bomb", and a stronger antibiotic. the "bomb" is the medicine they give for parasites, or tape worms. I have never heard words spoken with less confidence than when she said "well... I believe there are no side effects...".So I was ready for the worst. Also the new antibiotic looked like something a horse would have to take. It was huge!
8. Fever breaks, but now a new problem. I still have no energy, and am forced to stay in the house cause when ever I walk to far I get light headed and start to pass out. So I am forced to bed rest, and the more time I am spending in the house the worse I am getting. Also I had received a yeast infection on top of my swollen throat. She admitted that she had miss diagnosed me. That I didn't have any bacteria that was bad in me, so since she gave me a mountain of antibiotics to eat, I there was no bacteria left good or bad nothing to fight the yeast. So its kinda like strep throat, but so pain full I couldn't eat or drink with out crying in pain. The doctors conclusion... Drink more water and ibuprofen
9. When I woke up Monday unable to sleep, in pain, I called her and let her know I am coming in and she is going to the hospital cause I can't breath well, eat or drink. So she was going to have to deal with me alive now, or dead soon.
10. We get to Teguciapala, and for some reason I already felt better It's like the further I got from my house the better I felt. The doctor listened to my lungs and the first thing he said was "you have an allergy"


Are you ready, the break down:

Our next door neighbors cook with fire, and ash just rains down into our house because of it. I wasn't getting better with my cough cause I was developing an allergy to sleeping in raining ash. Hence coughing more
The neighbors food then started to give me diarrhea.
Then I contracted a virus. One of those exotic ones that kill white people, thus the 103 temperature and no energy ever.
So the virus made me to tired to stand, which meant laying in my bed breathing in ash and smoke, making the allergy and the cough worse. The virus eventually died, but I was getting worse because I was in constant toxic exposure.
Once the virus was gone, my allergy had made me to tired to leave, thus making me spend more time dying in what was causing me to die, thus making me worse.
Because of these symptoms I was given the antibiotics, which gave me a yeast infection in my mouth making it pain full to eat.

Once we connected all the dots, President lovingly struck into action. Within 12 hours of the diagnosis I was in a new house, in a whole different part of town, smoke free and beautiful. That's the miracle of missionary work!
Moral of the story: When your sick, ibuprofen and water. That ought to do ya.

So now that you have my entire medical history here is the good part.
I am saved, recovering and happy. I have left to work today for the first time in two weeks,and it feels so good to be doing the work again. I can now drink water, but can only eat yogurt and ice cream.

However please know that I am fine. I can breath again and I am taking tons of allergy medicine to keep my air ways open, and pain killers for the infection.
To get sick on a mission is a really hard experience. You realize that time is so short on a mission and it is being wasted, and all the good you could be doing, and all the people you could be helping. It was a hard faith crippling thing to go through. One part of you is "I'm so sick, I just need to recover" and the other is "where is my faith? I should be able to get over this with missionary power and faith alone and go to work." But I learned a lot, the primary things being this.
1. God is in control. Whenever we find ourselves in the refiners fire we just need to remember who the refiner is.
2. I know nothing. When I was in the house giving up the ghost, the zone leaders had come over to interchange, so my comp could go see how are investigators were doing. I expressed to Zone Leader Elder Payne that I was upset. "God sent me to Campamiento to work here, so why isn't he letting me" I said. He prophetically responded "how do you know that?" In reality I don't know what Gods plan for me is, but I know I am a part of it, and I will do what ever he asks. Even if that includes me getting sick. I will always remember the feeling last night, after the move was finished, I asked God in prayer why this had all happened. All this fuss and time lost, and pain. I was upset and sad. He sent me the most overwhelming feeling of comfort, and the words in my heart that let me know that through it all, it was what he wanted and that I just needed to keep doing my best. He was proud of me, and just needs me to get back up and make it happen.
3. Gods hand is in everything. Even though I was really sick, God was still God, and took care of everything. So many miracles have happened outside while me and my comp where just dying in my house. Him of boredom and me of my carnival of illnesses playing "Host vs. Sick". So many things worked out, and I didn't have to be there to solve the problems. I have been so busy on my mission working my tail off to fix everything for everyone else, that it was so touching to just lay back and watch my whole zone come pack me up and move me out in a matter of hours,and the President who loves me enough to make it happen. I really am grateful for this opportunity to learn more, and become a better servant of the Lord. It was a day that even though I had been the one giving service, "I got served!" (ooooohhhhohohoh!)

So in all, I´m learning more all the time even when that means laying in a bed breathing smoke and feeling my throat swell up. I am out of the toxic environment, and from the grace of God improving rapidly. Thanks for your prayers, and I have gotten so many letters this week I can really feel of every ones love. So Thanks to everyone.


Servant of our Refiner,
Elder Scott Wayne Morris
pss this email is huge!!! and probably super boring... sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment