Sunday, April 10, 2011

American Marketing August 30, 2010

So things are going probably too good here in Siquatepeque. It rains
every single day and sometimes it gets super windy, so you just hold
your umbrella straight out in front of you so that you can at least
protect your face and torso, because the rain here tends to fall side
ways. However it keeps things interesting. Before shining my shoes I
just need like a rag and a brush, but it is just so so so muddy here
so now I need like a car wash every day just to get my shoes some what
presentable. Also one pair just slides me all over the place. Like on
Saturday less then an hour before our baptisms I just got laid
out on the road cause some rocks went out from under me. My comp said
it looked like I should have broke my arm, but I just got some cuts
and hurt pride. So I´m trying to not wear those shoes anymore.

However being here is like a vacation. I call it "Gringolandia."
There are lots of white people, and tons of American stores. On
Monday last week I went into reverse culture shock when we went to one
store called the Carrol. I felt like I was in Disneyland! They had
Fruity Pebbles! and Cream Cheese! I honestly couldn't believe it
when I was looking and Cream Cheese! Windex, Pine sol and peanut
butter! They had it all. Even Dinner Rolls! Before I came out of the
culture shock I had already spent 800 Limprias of my personal money.
For that I beg forgiveness but I was powerless before the American
Marketing Onslaught.

Also did you know I have a washing machine! and a dryer! I have been
washing all my clothes by hand, with out constant running water for 10
months now. I used it the first time like last Wednesday because I was
literally scared to use. Like now it was some how taboo. I
literally forgot how to use it, and i just got up the guts to do
it, and an hour latter pulled out clean clothes from "the magic white
shaking box" it was to good to be true. However the reverse
culture shock is basically coming to a close. I have a peanut butter
and jelly sandwich every day now and it tastes better then anything I
have probably ever eaten.

As far as being a missionary go things are awesome. We baptized two men this week. One has been trying to get baptized for two years! But couldn't because there were all sorts of problems with his wives papers to get married. They already
have plans to go to the temple next year and we are working to help get them
excited about missionary work and getting some callings in the church.
The other person we baptized is named Mario. We went to his house for
the first time Friday last week and we baptized him Saturday. 8 days!
that's called a miracle. He had already been receiving the missionaries
for like two months when he lived in Miami, so we just taught him all
the lesson. The basic testimony was already there and very strong. Talk
about mercy. Also for our zone we beat a goal of 15 and got 17. A
miracle considering the past two months were 6 and 4. We also already
have people that are progressing very strongly right now so we are
hoping for even better results this month.

Oh and this is the Month of Honduran Independence.

So i am running out of time. But things are going great here. The city
is special cause there are lots of families. There aren't very many
moms and dads together here in Honduras and so I am happy to be working amongst
families. I carry a picture of the family and show it every time that I
meet a family for the first time. I miss the family lots, but I do feel good to be giving other families here the same blessings that I have with mine.

I love you all more then anything,
Elder Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment